Friday, December 24, 2010

Advent 2010 #7 - Twas the night before Christmas

Tonight we went to our last Advent activity for this year, the Christmas Eve service at our church. As traditions go, this is one of the most special. During years when I have not focused on Advent, this service often stops me in my tracks. During years when I am enjoying the season and not consumed with other things it is the culmination of a season of remembering and reflection. Tonight, it was the latter.

We sang a medley of Christmas Carols and the choir sang accompanied by a string quartet. A poet read, various soloists sang. I am not usually excited to hear a choir sing - no offense to choir folks. It is just too easy for me to become passive and just listen instead of being drawn in myself. But at Christmas it just seems appropriate. And of course there is an offering, focused on organizations we support that are trying to make a difference in the community. But the message is the center of it all. And the pastor always makes sure that the message is clear. And after the message, a final Christmas carol, a benediction, and that is it. Tonight we paused for a couple of conversations with families we see just this one time each year as a whole but these were brief.

We'll spend Christmas in airports as our family converges in a common location. But for tonight I paused to be thankful for Advent, both as tradition and as the center of my faith. Tonight I reflect. Perhaps next year will be one of those years when I am too busy to reflect much, but hopefully, as a result of this years reflection, it will be due to more useful pursuits than what often fills my time.

Tonight, the fifth candle was lit, the Christ Candle. Merry Christmas. May the peace that passes understanding fill your life.

No comments: