Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Another day, structured silence...

Today was going to be all about work. Except for fact that the 8:00 a.m. appointment and the 6 p.m. appointment placed some barriers to the start and end of the work day. Not that I could not have started before 8:00 a.m. and gone back to it after 7:00 p.m. I knew I would not be up to making dinner when I got home so picked it up at Von's, chicken and clam chowder. Suffice it to say that my dinner was not up to the standards I have been setting this week.

Back to the work day. When I finally decided to take a break for lunch at 1:30 p.m., my parting comment was, "I am going to go out and do something fun." That was prior to actually believing there was something fun I could do at lunch. I ran an errand and once this was accomplished I was conveniently close to my favorite local camera store (the only local camera store). They do most of their sales online and the store seems as if it is mostly a place to coordinate the online sales and develop film for students at the local photography institute. They do have some vintage cameras and lenses. And some old but not quite vintage lenses that are fun to look through. So, since I was just a couple blocks away, I went in to see what there was to see. 

The box of stuff for $10 held items that were banged, bruised, or just too odd to keep around. A shattered filter left on what was otherwise a reasonable looking telephoto lens caught my eye.  Wrong lens mount. It is not that I need another manual focus telephoto lens, it is the hope that I find one markedly better than my existing telephoto lenses. I bypassed that lens but then found one that intrigued me. The glass was free of noticeable scratches, the aperture seemed to work fine, and it had a unique lens mount adapter that seemed pretty cool. And for $10 I figured the cost benefit would be well within reason. 

The only problem, work and other commitments prevented me from actually using the lens in the daylight. So, while I wait for an opportunity to compare my new 70-210 Tamron lens to my other lenses, I did a quick test in poor light. I have determined that this lens is great if you need to take a picture of a Trader Joe's cookie perched on a faucet from several feet away.  






This and a visit to the new grocery store were the excitement for the day. So, for now, that's about it. 

No comments: