Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Catching up on the weekend

Most of the time weekends are just a different kind of busy. Perhaps a bit less structured, a bit more choice in what is done, and more often the choices are for things I consider enjoyable activities. But the result is still a need to relax, to enjoy the moment, to think without having to come to a conclusion or a decision, and to read or take in something that is just enjoyable. The sabbath of orthodox Jews or some Christian churches seems a bit extreme to me, but that is more my cultural bias than any sense that my perspective is healthier or better. It probably isn't. So on the weekend I did not worry about accomplishing too much and I succeeded in that quite well. Here is the rundown...

Friday...
I accomplished so much that I have forgotten what it was that I did not do, though I am sure it is on a list.

At about 11:00 pm, my hunger go the better of me and forced me to realize I had not eaten a real dinner. So the quest for something to drink and something lite to eat began. The fridge did not have much in it that I wanted to eat (11:10 pm). As it turned out, it had some stuff that needed to be tossed out (11:30 pm). I did feel quite accomplished but the empty fridge led
to an examination of the freezer which led to a radical cleaning of both (12:30 am). And the radical cleaning exposed bright and shiny shelves, clean white surfaces, and a really ugly bit of rust, overly visible when you opened both the fridge and the freezer. At this point, the refrigerator cleaning tools became a power sander, painters tape, and a can of spray paint. Isn't that what everyone uses? Section sanded, taped and painted (1:15 am). Oh, and, cleaning and painting caused me to move the refrigerator out from the wall. And you know what is behind a refrigerator... Floor and walls cleaned (1:45 am). Now, did I actually eat anything?

Saturday...
Slept in (see above), breakfast on the deck, errands, and cleaning. Nice list established of things to do.

Engagement...
Time at an engagement reception for the son of a good friend. The engaged couple was very cute and it was nice to hear how each they waited through long periods apart. It is surprising, though it should not be, to see a young man whose maturity you remember at 18 or 19 having become much more mature at 27. I know that the maturity that comes with marriage will be another surprise. They won't be a couple I'll see on a regular basis so the changes are likely to be more noticeable and each time I notice I will reflect on some aspect of his youth that stands in stark contrast to whatever aspect of life the new maturity shows itself in. Quite fun, but not really on the list for the day.

The Camera Store...
Photography requires the proper equipment, except the proper equipment changes rapidly as understanding and skills improve. I am at the level where I have a way to go before I have exhausted the capabilities of the kit lens that came with my DSLR (digital single lens reflex cameras) or any of the lenses in the same line. I did quickly learn other lenses were required but from a quality perspective the kit lens and others in line are fine. My 18-55 mm zoom lens broke a while back and I was finally able to take the 30 mile drive to the store to send it in for repair. The sales person at the store said, "Wow, how'd that happen?", but followed it with, "But, yea, the product insurance will cover it." Yeah!

I also asked about a new camera that I wanted to see, in a purely window shopping frame of mind. This somehow resulted in a brief discussion of an $8,000 medium format camera. I was clear that it was way out of my league and my price range but the fact I knew the capabilities and why it was worth $8,000 gave me some credibility. So when I asked about new Pentax lenses for my current camera, he said, "No, we only have the 50-200 mm WR lens", in a tone that clearly meant you probably really would not be interested. In fact, anyone with my camera model would probably really appreciate the lens. Good quality, weather sealed, and not too big or heavy - a good lens but not a stellar lens.

His comment, "No, we only...", struck me the same way people respond to me when I speak the first couple of sentences in a foreign language with full sentences and a reasonable approximation of proper syntax. The fact that the sentences are along the lines of, "Hi, it is a pleasure to meet you. Unfortunately, I do not speak _____"[fill in language], does not minimize the positive impact of those sentences. My third and fourth sentences give away my lack of any real knowledge, but the first impression does not completely go away. They often think I still understand more than I actually do despite my obvious ignorance. There is a lingering sense of that first impression that causes people to respond a bit differently, a bit more as if I might understand or, at least, as if I am trainable.

My search for old used lenses and the discussion of the $8,000 camera caused the sales person to to assume that I would not settle for the basic lens. He obviously assumed that I, as someone who fully understood the value of the $8,000 camera, would not be interested in the kit quality 50-200 mm telephoto zoom lens. But, I was the customer so he did allow me to buy it. For now, the $200 kit quality lens will serve me as well as the $800 or $1000 high quality lens. For now anyway... The trip was such as success I was only sad that it had not been on the original list for the day so I could check it off.

Photos and Food...
It was now Saturday evening and I was hungry. I combined my desire to use the new lens with desire for food by stopping at a park along the ocean near a good sandwich place. Quite fun, but again not on the list.

Home...
Finally, I arrived home. I received a wonderfully random Father's Day present from one or more anonymous children. And I still had time to do a thorough house cleaning. Finally, something on the original list! Check. Yeah!

No comments: